Shruti Seth’s Shahi paneer

Shruti Seth’s Shahi paneer


MY FAVOURITE DISH I “Shahi paneer cooked by my mother.
LIKE TO EAT I “I have a weakness for Chinese food and it’s either Royal China, Hakkasan or Golden Dragon for me. They serve the best Chinese in Mumbai.”
BEST MEAL I’VE EVER HAD I“It was at Zuma in Dubai. Their Japanese food is the best I've eaten.”
MY FAVOURITE CUISINE I “It’s Chinese.”
MY NON-FOOD PASSIONS I “Travel, music and interior designing.”
MY FAVOURITE RECIPE I “Shahi paneer. I can have it anytime if the paneer is fresh and soft.”
(As told to Norbert Rego)

Ingredients I Paneer : 500 gm I Cashewnuts: 40 gm I Tomatoes (chopped): 3 I Green chilli (chopped): 2 I Ginger chop: 1 1/2 tsp I Ghee: 50 ml I Cumin seeds (jeera): ½ tsp I Bay leaf: 1 I Coriander powder (dhania): 1 tsp I Turmeric (haldi): ½ tsp I Red chilli powder: ½ tsp I Yogurt: 1 tbs I Khoya: 1 tbs I Salt (adjust to taste): ½ tsp I Garam masala: ½ tbs I Raisin: 2 tsp I Almonds: 11/2 tbs I Charmagaz: 3 tsp

Method I Cut paneer into 3/4 inch cubes. I Puree of tomatoes, green chilli and ginger. I Boil cashewnut, almond and charmagaz in a separate pan and blend to a smooth paste. I Add ghee in a pan, over medium heat. Shallow fry paneer cubes till they turn golden brown. Remove from the pan and place over paper towels to absorb excess oil. I Increase heat to mediumhigh and test the oil by adding one cumin seed. If it cracks, the oil is ready. I Add cumin seeds to the oil and as they crackle, add bay leaves. Stir for a few seconds. I Add tomato puree, coriander powder, turmeric and red chilli powder. Cook the mixture, stirring for 2-3 minutes till the masala starts separating from the oil. I Add sugar, cashew, almond, charmagaz paste and yogurt. Cook for another minute, then add 1 cup of water and salt and bring to boil. I Add khoya and cook for some time. I Add paneer and cover the pan. I Remove from heat, add garam masala powder. I Garnish it with fried raisins and serve.

No comments: